If yes then Read on…
This article provides few simple and easy steps to repair the oversized PST file by using one of the best PST Repair Software. This software not only repairs corrupted PST file, it can also recover the contents of an oversized PST file with utmost ease. This software has the ability to repair PST files created in Outlook 2000, 2003 and 2007 and works well on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. It can also repair PST after Outlook 2010 freezes, hangs or does not respond.
What actually oversized PST file problem is all about?
The PST file is a data storage container for Outlook where the user can create folders, archive the emails and can store all Outlook data. Actually, there are 2 different versions of PST file i.e. one is ANSI and another is UNICODE. Theoretically, the UNICODE file has a 32TB file size limit and ANSI file supports 2GB size limit. The latest versions of MS Outlook like Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 uses UNICODE PST file format by default. Therefore, in these versions there is no need to worry about oversized PST file problems. Whereas, Outlook 2000 uses an ANSI PST file format that has a 2GB hardcoded size limit. Once this limit is exceeded, corruption may occur instantly.
The PST file oversize problem occurs mainly when you keep on storing a large and unwanted number of mails or any other data in Outlook PST file. When the PST file exceeds its maximum size limit, Outlook may refuse to accept new data, you are not able to send/receive the emails, search the emails and Outlook may hang. The below mentioned errors indicate that the PST file is corrupted due to oversize problem.
- “Outlook.pst cannot be accessed - 0x80040116” or “Errors have been detected in the file Outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool” – This error message occur when you try to access or open the corrupted Outlook PST file.
- “The file could not be added to the folder. The action could not be completed”, “The file Outlook.pst has reached its maximum size” or “Can’t copy the item” – You may get this error message, when you try to add new mails or any other items to the oversized PST file.
How to fix this issue?
Microsoft has provided in-built repair options to fix oversized and corrupted PST file i.e. Oversized PST and OST Crop utility and Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe). The Oversized PST and OST crop utility works by deleting about 25MB of data from the PST file to bring it back within the limit. Inbox Repair Tool scans the corrupted PST file first and if it finds any data that is not recognizable then it may delete that data from PST files. You should use these tools as a last option as you cannot control what data you lose when using these tools. You can also repair Outlook address book along with other Outlook attributes as you cannot take the losing of important contacts for granted. The best and easiest option to fix the oversized PST file is to use this professional PST Repair Software. This software can repair Outlook 2007 after errors due to oversized PST file, virus attack, file header corruption etc and also support Outlook 2000, 2003 and 2010. Additionally, this tool has some appreciated features, which are listed below
- Easily repair oversized PST file and then recover all contents like emails, contacts, calendar entries, notes tasks from oversized PST file
- Two different scanning options are available to fix the PST file based on the severity of PST file corruption
- You can fix highly compressed PST and password protected PST files without any harm to the original file
- It provides Preview option to view recovered items via Outlook style Browser view
- Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows Sever 2003 and 2008
Simple Steps to fix the oversized PST file
Step 1: Download and launch the PST Repair Tool. After launching the software, a main window is displayed with 3 options. If you know the location of PST file then select “Open PST file” option otherwise select “Find PST File” option to locate it. If you have already created the Outlook profiles then click on “Select Outlook Profile” among the 3 options otherwise create it and start repairing the PST file.
Step 2: Now, select either “Normal scan” or “Smart Scan” options according to your requirement
Step 3: After finishing the recovery process, view recovered Outlook data using an Outlook Style Browser view.
Tips to avoid PST file corruption due to oversize
- Archive and organize the emails frequently in order to exceed the 2GB size limit of PST file
- It is a best practice to delete unwanted emails and from the Outlook PST files to avoid any type of corruption issues.
- Take regular backup of essential emails and other Outlook data.